Rainbow Fruit Salad
To entice my children to eat fruit when they were young, I often "disguised" it in this easy-to-prepare salad. I still make it today—and I'm a great-grandmother. The salad goes well with barbecued meats or cold sandwiches. —Jonnie Adams Sisler, Stevensville, Montana
Total TimePrep: 20 min + chilling
- 2 large firm bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups seeded cubed watermelon
- 2 cups fresh or canned pineapple chunks
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 3 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Toss bananas and lemon juice; place in a 4-qt. glass serving bowl. Add remaining fruit in layers.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add sugar, lime juice and zest. Stir in a small amount of whipped cream; mix well. Fold in remaining whipped cream. Spread over fruit. Chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 123 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Rainbow Fruit Salad in Crafting Traditions July/August 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.