Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch julienne strips
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches), broken
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, whole cloves and mustard seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool; pour over the carrots.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Discard cloves and cinnamon. Serve carrots with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 103 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 10, 2017
This is one of my favorite pickle recipes!!
Jul 4, 2012
I've been making a similar recipe for years using a sugar substitute. I don't use mustard seed and I use 2 cinnamon sticks and 6 cloves. I keep a container of them in the fridge for a quick snack or to serve with sandwiches.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.