So-Sweet Squash Pickles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place squash, pepper and onion in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 1 hour to drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add vegetables; return to a boil. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Transfer to a covered container; refrigerate, covered, at least 4 days before serving. May be stored in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 123 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 13, 2017
Surprisingly delicious. I sliced my squash crosswise into rounds.
Jul 9, 2012
Not difficult to make, and very tasty!! I even made a batch with Splenda for diabetic friends and it was still great. You can also use zuchinni or cucumbers.
Sep 1, 2011
So sweet, so good! I tried this using both summer squash and zucchini. It reminded me a lot of bread & butter pickles. Very easy to make!
Jul 4, 2011
My husband and I dearly love this pickle! I make it every year when our crookneck squash is plentiful. Everyone I've had try it also loved it, from family & friends to people at my husband's workplace. It looks as good as it tastes too! So easy to make!
Oct 20, 2008
Can these be canned?