So-Sweet Squash Pickles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place squash, pepper and onion in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 1 hour to drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add vegetables; return to a boil. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Transfer to a covered container; refrigerate, covered, at least 4 days before serving. May be stored in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 123 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 13, 2017
Surprisingly delicious. I sliced my squash crosswise into rounds.
Jul 9, 2012
Not difficult to make, and very tasty!! I even made a batch with Splenda for diabetic friends and it was still great. You can also use zuchinni or cucumbers.
Sep 1, 2011
So sweet, so good! I tried this using both summer squash and zucchini. It reminded me a lot of bread & butter pickles. Very easy to make!
Jul 4, 2011
My husband and I dearly love this pickle! I make it every year when our crookneck squash is plentiful. Everyone I've had try it also loved it, from family & friends to people at my husband's workplace. It looks as good as it tastes too! So easy to make!
Oct 20, 2008
Can these be canned?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.