Belarus Pickled Carrots
My mom’s holiday buffet always included these pickled carrots. I kept the tradition going, then passed the recipe to my daughter. In our family, it isn't a party without this dish. —Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, GA
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Place carrots and bay leaves in a large bowl. In a dry small saucepan, toast caraway seeds over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until aromatic, stirring frequently. Stir in water, sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil. Pour over carrots. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Transfer mixture to covered jars. Refrigerate up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 38 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Apr 6, 2016
I made this Easter Sunday for a crowd and it went over very well despite the skepticism when told they were picked carrots. I served it as a salad and my husband and I loved it! Will definitely make this again!!