Pickled Zucchini Slices
Here's a great way to put your garden bounty to good use! Turn that ripe zucchini into a crunchy, flavorful burger topping. Romaine Wetzel, Ronks, PA
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 8 cups sliced zucchini
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, onions and pepper; sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours; rinse and drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour over zucchini mixture; cover and let stand 2 hours.
- Transfer to a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Carefully ladle hot mixture into five hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 31 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Zucchini Pickles in Taste of Home June/July 2010