Pickled Zucchini Slices Recipe
- 8 cups sliced zucchini
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, onions and pepper; sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand for 2 hours; rinse and drain.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour over zucchini mixture; cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- 3. Transfer to a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 5 pints.
1/4 cup: 31 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Pickled Zucchini Slices
"Good flavor, but not as crunchy as I would prefer. I'm wondering if it would work better as a refrigerator pickle instead."