Pecan Sunrise Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Arrange pecans over batter.
- For topping, combine sugar and orange zest. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 307 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 31, 2011
I made this for my parents and served it with coffee. It was great - not too sweet. I didn't have grated orange peel so I substituted 1-1/2 tsp. cinnmon instead. It came out great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.