Pecan Sunrise Coffee Cake
Cathy Murray of Acushnet, Massachusetts remembers her mom making this luscious breakfast treat when she was growing up. The crunchy topping with its hint of orange flavor is hard to forget. “I still love it today,“ Cathy says.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Arrange pecans over batter.
- For topping, combine sugar and orange zest. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 307 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pecan Sunrise Bread in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006
Jan 31, 2011
I made this for my parents and served it with coffee. It was great - not too sweet. I didn't have grated orange peel so I substituted 1-1/2 tsp. cinnmon instead. It came out great.