- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, bananas, peanut butter, applesauce and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups three-fourths full. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanuts and chocolate chips. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forPeanut Butter-Banana Muffins
"I think this is a great recipe. I did not use the peanuts on top. I also added wheat germ and it tasted great, still. The quality of these only lasts for 2 days, so I freeze the extras and then pop them in the microwave for breakfast. I've made them as regular size muffins (cooked them a bit longer) and they were still good. Yummy!!"
"I used peanut butter chips instead of the chocolate chips, and that was yummy!"
"I tweaked the recipe a bit (a little healthier, but also didn't have everything I needed). I cut the sugar to 1/3 cup, replaced the egg with flaxmeal equivalent (1TB ground flax + 3 TB water), used 1/2 cup chips and topped each with a little wheat germ. The kids LOVED them, and so did we!!"
"We all thought the muffins were very good~I split the morsels making half w/ and half w/o and I will always from now on make it w/ the morsels~I also didn't put the topping on to cut down just a bit on the calories and they were very tasty that way~every little bit helps!"
"Even though I wouldn't make these again myself, I certainly wouldn't suggest others not try these muffins. They are moist and tasty. For me personally, there are a few too many ingredients and more importantly the calorie count is just a little on the high side for such a small serving. But if you can spare the calories and the time you might like to try these delicious little morsels!"