Nothing says good southern cooking like a crisp corn bread baked in a cast-iron skillet. This is an old family recipe that has been passed down to each generation. —Emory Doty, Jasper, Georgia
Recommended: 32 Recipes For Your Baking Bucket List
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Place 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-in. cast-iron skillet; place in oven. Preheat oven to 450°. Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and remaining oil. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Add batter; bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Oven-Fried Corn Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p210