- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange zest and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Fold in rhubarb and almonds.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forOrange-Rhubarb Breakfast Bread
"I will try this again. What a mess! Perhaps it is my elevation.. I'm at 6000 ft, but the center fell to the bottom! The taste is great, but I will try 1/4 C more flour next time."
"Update ~ Use 2 cups of rhubarb. Also great with all whole wheat flour, but only cook for 50 minutes.~ Theresa"
"I love rhubarb, so am always on the lookout for new recipes that use this unique ingredient. This recipe did not disappoint! I substituted 1/2 cup of broken pecan pieces for the almonds just because I had them on hand and shortened the baking time to about 55 minutes. This bread was absolutely delectable with a moist interior and a sweet, crunchy crust. I make quick breads all the time and this recipe is a real keeper."
"A little on the dry side, so next time I will alter the amount of flour and due to personal taste I will increase orange peel/juice and ginger. My 3 & 5 year old sons both ate 2 :)"
"Loved the bread. I always tweek a recipe after making it as is one time. Yes, add more rhubarb. I also cut back the sugar 1/4 to 1/2 cup and made it healthier by adding 3/4 cup whole wheat flour."
"Yum! I may add a bit more rhubarb next time. I used walnuts instead of almonds because that's what I had at home. Tasted great.~ Theresa"
"Very good, will be making this one again!"