- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups orange juice
- 4 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a 2- to 3-qt. saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Using a wire whisk, gradually blend in orange juice until smooth. Add egg yolks and blend thoroughly. Add lemon juice and butter. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, and gradually bring to a boil. Reduce heat as mixture begins to thicken. Boil slowly for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in peel. Pour hot filling into pie shell. Let stand, allowing a thin film to form on top. Meanwhile, for meringue, beat egg whites in a small mixing bowl until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on high until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium; add sugar gradually, about 1 tablespoon at a time. beat on high until stiff and glossy. Spoon meringue around edge of filling. Using a spatula, push meringue gently against inner edge of crust, sealing well. Swirl meringue into center of pie. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on wire rack at room temperature for 2 hours before serving. To cut, use a sharp knife dipped in hot water. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOrange Meringue Pie
"Very bitter with the orange peel. I don't bite through the peel to eat an orange as one would do eating an apple."