Mushroom Pear Melts
I really like mushrooms with cheese. Add pears, broil away, and you have got a scrumptious open-faced sandwich. Serve with a salad and fruity tea. —Marla Hyatt, St. Paul, MN
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups sliced fresh shiitake or baby portobello mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 large ripe Bosc pears, thinly sliced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat broiler. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place toast slices on a rack of a broiler pan. Top with mushrooms; layer with pears and cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat until cheese is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.