Mushroom Pear Melts
I really like mushrooms with cheese. Add pears, broil away, and you’ve got a scrumptious open-face sandwich. Serve with a salad and fruity tea. —Marla Hyatt, St. Paul, MN
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups sliced fresh shiitake or baby portobello mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 large ripe Bosc pears, thinly sliced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Place toasts on a rack of a broiler pan. Top with mushrooms; layer with pears and cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts2 open-faced sandwiches: 421 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 883mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 9g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Pear Melts in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.