Grilled cheese is a go-to meal in our family for an after-school snack, quick lunch, and even a fun treat on ski trips. These sandwiches are just a grown-up version of something we all love. —Cherylin Birkholz, Marysville, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 slices seeded whole grain bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, sottened, divided
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 large apple, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, sliced
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet; spread tops with half of the butter. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Turn bread over; spread tops with remaining butter. Layer with the mozzarella cheese, apple slices and Gouda cheese. Broil 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 open-face sandwich: 332 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Ultimate Grilled Cheese & Apple Melts in Taste of Home February/March 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.