- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat rigatoni
- In a 6-qt. stockpot coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in wine; bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, cheese and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMushroom Bolognese with Whole Wheat Pasta
"Great for Meatless Mondays. I also added just a pinch of salt to bring out more of the flavors."
"Really tasty with a nice thick sauce. Would go well with any kind of whole wheat pasta.Will make again."
"This was an okay recipe. I'll make it again, but I will add salt, at least a 1/4 of teaspoon and maybe increase the amount of red pepper flakes to 1/4 teaspoon. It just needs a little more of something to add to the flavor."
"This is a hearty, filling meatless dish. We loved all of the flavor from the vegetables, garlic, and seasonings. The leftovers were also great the next day!"