- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat rigatoni
- In a 6-qt. stockpot coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in wine; bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, cheese and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMushroom Bolognese with Whole Wheat Pasta
"Loved the sauce. it was thick and tasty, just the way we like it. I made it with vegetable pasta instead of whole wheat. My family has already asked me to make it again."
"This is really good. It is hard to please my daughter but she really liked it."
"Great for Meatless Mondays. I also added just a pinch of salt to bring out more of the flavors."
"Really tasty with a nice thick sauce. Would go well with any kind of whole wheat pasta.Will make again."
"This was an okay recipe. I'll make it again, but I will add salt, at least a 1/4 of teaspoon and maybe increase the amount of red pepper flakes to 1/4 teaspoon. It just needs a little more of something to add to the flavor."
"This is a hearty, filling meatless dish. We loved all of the flavor from the vegetables, garlic, and seasonings. The leftovers were also great the next day!"