Eggplant Zucchini Bolognese
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, squash, onion, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato puree, Italian seasoning and brown sugar.
- Drain pasta; stir in tomato mixture and roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 395 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 12, 2018
This dish was so simple to make that I was wowed by the flavors it packed. One thing I like to do is cook with natures seasoning in place of salt and pepper. I did this to the vegetables prior to roasting them. Once the dish was together I added the Parmesan cheese. The Parmesan made the dish taste complete. It had simple yet sophisticated flavors.
Aug 5, 2017
Could the leftovers be frozen??
Sep 9, 2015
I was so impressed with how this tasted--and I followed the recipe exactly as it was written. Blew away my expectations. The roasted veggies could be a side dish all on their own with any meal. Will definitely be making this again and again!
Mar 23, 2015
My family loved it. I roasted roma tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, basil, salt and pepper on a sheet tray in the oven with the veggies. Put it into the blender for Tomato puree. I also roasted the veggies longer because we like soft veggies.
Jul 24, 2014
I was looking for a new zucchini recipe amd came across this. It came out delicious and was easy. I have a feeling it will make great leftovers too.
Oct 13, 2013
A great recipe that used a lot of garden fresh veggies from my grandma's garden. Will definitely make this again. I used group turkey instead of beef.
Aug 27, 2013
Just loved this recipe, however, altered it a bit. Family is not that into the zucchini. I added, in addition to the ground beef, Perri Sausage, or any other brand of sausage, you may like. I used Hot Sausage, browned with the hamburg, or you can bake it ahead of time, and cut into small bite sizes. Also, found that the Italian Seasoning, was WAY WAY to Heavy, and over whelmed the entire Dish. I would ad HALF the amount, next time I make this. This is a fast meal to make for last minute get togethers, served with a fresh Salad and Garlic Bread! Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!
Aug 10, 2013
After reading the reviews, I opted to make a few adjustments. You can mix & match as you like. Last night, I roasted a big sweet onion, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, and sliced mushrooms. For my sauce, I just had 2 cans of diced italian style tomatoes (14.5oz ea.) and 1 can of tomato sauce on hand. I left out the brown sugar and added a bit of italian seasoning. Oh- we are big italian sausage lovers so that it was I used. Big fans of this recipe!!
Jun 10, 2013
We really liked this. I didn't have any puree on hand, so I used marinara sauce in it's place. I also added more garlic and used whole wheat pasta.
Dec 27, 2012
This was fantastic. I loved the roasted eggplant added to the dish. It was simple yet delicious. The only thing I changed up was the onion preparation. I sauteed them in olive oil and butter with a bit of salt. I put that in with the noodles and then used the saute pan to make the beef and prepare per recipe. I loved it as is, but my meat-loving other half would have preferred more meat. I could see adding sliced sausage to up the ante a bit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.