Mixed Legume Soup
My brother began growing legumes a few years back, so I've been trying many different recipes. Everyone enjoys the comforting old-fashioned flavor of this vegetable soup.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried yellow split peas
- 3/4 cup dried green split peas
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the lentils and peas are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 177 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Mixed Legume Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.