Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup small pasta shells
- 3/4 cup dried great northern beans
- 3/4 cup dried pinto beans
- 3/4 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 14 cups water, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place pasta in a small resealable plastic bag; place in a 1-qt. glass jar. Layer with beans. Place seasonings in another plastic bag; place in jar. Cover and store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare soup: Remove seasoning packet from jar. Remove beans; sort and rinse. Set pasta aside.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and discard liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery and salt; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pasta. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until pasta and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 148 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Nov 29, 2015
Love this soup! I wanted to try it before giving as a gift. It turned out very well, and does make a big pot of soup (20 cups or so). I did add some cooked Italian turkey sausage at the end. Delicious! It takes a while to make, but is super easy. It is very inexpensive to make, too. I think a jar of this mix, along with the canned tomatoes, a cornbread mix, and a bottle of wine would make a wonderful cold-weather gift in a basket. I know I would love to receive it!
Nov 2, 2015
We really didn't like it. Even tried adding ground Italian sausage and parmesan. Sorry.
Mar 5, 2014
Makes a lot of soup! I added some leftover ham and it was good. Lots of fiber in those beans! We make this only on weekends. Sorry honey.
Dec 12, 2013
Has anyone made this in a crock pot? How long did you cook and what temp?
Dec 4, 2012
Very similar to the recipe I've made for years. I add a ham hock, though, and after it's cooked pick out what little meat it contains and return the meat to the soup. The flavor is delicately smoky and delicious!
Jan 10, 2012
This is a very good thick and tasty soup. It takes a while to make, but it is worth it. Because a full recipe would be too much soup for us, I made a half recipe of this soup. It made about 4 meal-size servings with the half recipe amounts. Rather than using water for cooking the beans, etc., I used 32 oz. of fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth and left out the salt and Parmesan cheese. Since I didn't have any carrots, I added a 4 oz. can of mushroom pieces (rinsed, drained and chopped). I also reduced the amount of dried minced onions to 1 tablespoon vs. 2 tablespoons for a half recipe and omitted the red pepper flakes.
Jan 3, 2012
I made a number of jars of the mix to give as Christmas gifts this year. With the leftovers, I decided to make a pot of this soup for my family. Because I was short on time, I only soaked the beans for an hour. I was afraid they'd still be too hard, but it ended up fine. Since I made this right after Christmas, I threw in my ham bone and some leftover cut-up ham. Delicious! Even better as a leftover when all the flavors had a chance to meld. I will surely make this again!
Dec 21, 2011
This is a terrific recipe! Made some jars for Christmas gifts for special people, hope they enjoy it as much as I did!
Dec 9, 2011
My daughter & I made this mix for holiday gifts but it would be great as a housewarming gift, also. I made it before making the jars up and we all thought it was great without any additions but I could see meat being added, too. Our jars look just like the picture and I was amazed that the portions were just right to fit into the jars! This is a keeper, for sure.
Dec 3, 2011
Delicious! Just wondering how this could be adapted to cook in a slow cooker......
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.