Italian Wedding Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/4 cups cooked medium pasta shells
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, cheese, bread crumbs, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in small batches; drain. Add the broth, spinach, onion powder, parsley and remaining salt, pepper and garlic powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in pasta; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 226 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 942mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2018
Very good. I followed the recipe except I used Acini di Pepe pasta which worked well and I baked the meat balls at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Will definitely make again.
Aug 31, 2015
My family LOVES this soup. It is requested often. I cook the meatballs in the oven on 15x10 pan at 400 for about 15 minutes instead of cooking in the Dutch oven.
Sep 30, 2014
My children ask me to make this recipe when they are hungry for soup. It's very tasty & easy to throw together. I use 1/2 of a can of spinach instead of fresh. To make it even easier, I cook the shells in the soup. In place of the shells I have often used spaghetti noodles broken into small pieces and it turns out good too.
Feb 16, 2014
Just made this soup and it was amazing. Great recipe with lots of flavor and hearty texture. This is just what we needed for a cold, snowy, winter afternoon.
Dec 17, 2013
I just made this soup recently and it was awesome. I even cheated and bought the pre-made wedding soup meatballs at our local Italian store. Everyone raved about how delicious the soup tasted and never knew the difference. This recipe tastes very similar to the wedding soup they serve at the Olive Garden too. Definitely a keeper in my recipe box!
Sep 3, 2013
Finally found the perfect Italian wedding recipe. Taste great!
Sep 24, 2012
This is the best wedding soup recipe I've tried to date as I've been searching now for awhile. I made two changes; cut back on the beef by 50% and doubled the spinach.
Jan 31, 2012
So simple yet elegant soup! You will not be disappointed in this.. I used italian breadcrumbs and more spinach (i love spinach) than called for. It tastes as delicious the next day too!!
Mar 3, 2011
Outstanding! Get so many requests for this soup! Now, I just brown some frozen meatballs and toss them in. Also, for the person who said it's too salty, you can control that by using low salt chicken broth and adding salt to your taste. As for me, I love it just the way it is!
Feb 17, 2011
Very salty, didn't care for meatballs, doesn't compare to the real thing.