Confetti Bean Soup Mix
With its colorful variety of beans and delicious flavor, this soup is tempting. I like to give it to friends each Christmas. —Rebecca Lambert, Staunton, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts) per batch
- 1 pound each dried navy beans, great northern beans, red kidney beans, pinto beans and green split peas
- SEASONING MIX:
- 12 beef bouillon cubes
- 3/4 cup dried minced chives
- 4 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP:
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- Combine beans and peas; place 3 cups in each of four large resealable plastic bags or glass jars. Set aside.
- In each of four snack-size resealable plastic bags, place three bouillon cubes, 3 tablespoons chives, 1 teaspoon savory, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and one bay leaf. Seal bags. Yield: 4 batches.
- To prepare soup: Place contents of one bag of beans in a Dutch oven; add 7 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Add remaining water and contents of one seasoning bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, salt and, if desired, pepper sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 14g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Confetti Bean Soup Mix in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.