Confetti Bean Soup Mix
With its colorful variety of beans and delicious flavor, this soup is tempting. I like to give it to friends each Christmas. —Rebecca Lambert, Staunton, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts) per batch
- 1 pound each dried navy beans, great northern beans, red kidney beans, pinto beans and green split peas
- SEASONING MIX:
- 12 beef bouillon cubes
- 3/4 cup dried minced chives
- 4 teaspoons dried savory
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP:
- 12 cups water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- Combine beans and peas; place 3 cups in each of four large resealable plastic bags or glass jars. Set aside.
- In each of four snack-size resealable plastic bags, place three bouillon cubes, 3 tablespoons chives, 1 teaspoon savory, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and one bay leaf. Seal bags. Yield: 4 batches.
- To prepare soup: Place contents of one bag of beans in a Dutch oven; add 7 cups water. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Add remaining water and contents of one seasoning bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, salt and, if desired, pepper sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 14g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Confetti Bean Soup Mix in Country Woman Christmas 1999