Mixed Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Set aside 1/2 cup broth. Add the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and remaining broth to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 116 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 4, 2015
Delicious! I made this for my 97 yr. old grandmother who had been craving vegetable soup. I used all organic ingredients and used 2 cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes instead of the regular. I also added extra vegetable broth because it came out a little too thick after I added the flour mixture. Can't wait to make it again for just me & my family!
Feb 26, 2014
Simple and tasted AMAZING!!