Vegetable Soup Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 slices white bread, torn
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed vegetarian vegetable soup, undiluted
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, soak bread in soup for 5 minutes. Stir in the onion, egg, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into an 8x4-in. oval.
- Line an 11x7-in. baking dish with foil and grease the foil. Place meat loaf in pan; top with tomato sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Apr 11, 2016
This is excellent . The only meat loaf my wife will eat.
Jun 29, 2013
Me and my wife are ground turkey eaters. I only modified this recipe a little bit.Instead of just bread, I used a cup of GFS croutons. And instead of a can of tomato sauce, I combined about 3 Tbs Ketchup, 3 Tbs brown sugar and 1 Tbs A1 sauce.The meatloaf came out of the oven in a color only slightly lighter than beef and the flavor/moisture/tenderness was amazing.
Feb 10, 2013
very good....lve the veggies in the meat loaf....thanks....
Nov 13, 2012
Tasted good, but did not hold together well.
Feb 24, 2010
I first made this as a home economics cooking assignment back in the 1960s! It still makes a tasty meat loaf.
Apr 2, 2009
I have been looking for this recipe for years and even asked my mother if she remembered it but found nothing. I am so excited to find this and remember this from my childhood and will definitely try this and see if it is as good as I remember. Thanks so much, Linda, Woodstock, Ga.
Jan 25, 2009
I know how to substitute meat substitutes for meat but this does not sound like a vegetarian dish. Some people may not know what to use in place of ground beef.