Mini Beef Tourtieres
These appetizers are a slight twist on the conventional tourtiere recipe. Ground beef replaces the traditional pork for a subtler taste, and with cream cheese pastry taking the place of pie pastry, these mini tourtiere melt in your mouth. They're a wonderful addition to the appetizer menu during the Christmas season and beyond. They're a time-saver, too—while the dough chills, you can prepare the filling. —Cheryl Bruneau, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried savory or sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- Chopped tomatoes plus additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Add flour, a little at a time, until a dough forms. Shape into a ball; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Meanwhile for filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and onion; cook, crumbling meat, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add the next eight ingredients. Stir in bread crumbs to absorb meat juices. Let stand about 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-3/4-in. round biscuit or cookie cutter. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of 30 ungreased mini muffin cups, re-rolling dough as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into prepared mini muffin cups. Bake until crust is golden, about 15 minutes. If desired, top with tomatoes and parsley.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 96 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Savory Mini Tourtiere with Cream Cheese Pastry in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018