Microwave Texas Nachos
Ready in minutes these easy nachos are great for a light luncheon or snack, suggests Carl Dahlgren of Fort Worth, Texas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 ounces uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup refried beans
- 2 cups tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 2 tablespoons sliced jalapeno pepper
- Crumble chorizo into a small skillet; add garlic. Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until fully cooked; drain. In a microwave-safe dish, combine chorizo mixture and beans. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through; stir.
- Place the tortilla chips on a microwave-safe serving plate; sprinkle with cheese. Heat, uncovered, on high for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Spoon chorizo mixture over chips and cheese. Top with lettuce, tomato, onion, sour cream, guacamole and jalapeno. Serve immediately.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers. The oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 388 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 871mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Microwaved Texas Nachos in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005