Mallow-Topped Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 large marshmallows, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl.
- Beat potatoes until smooth. Add the next nine ingredients; beat until blended.
- Spread into a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 40-45 minutes. Increase oven setting to 425°.
- Top casserole with marshmallows. Bake until marshmallows are lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 312 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 2, 2015
Just like Mom's!
Oct 1, 2014
I made this for my daughter-in-law's family in Argentina several years ago. Since then this is the one dish they ask for every time I visit.
Apr 6, 2013
Very appealing look, but much better recipes are out there.
Nov 29, 2012
Every year I try a different sweet potato recipe. Well, I have finally find one that I will stick with. Great side dish.
Oct 22, 2012
I used half evaporated milk and half water because I didn't have 2%. Also, since I only had 2 sweet potatoes, I cut everything down to a 1/3 to make it enough for 2.
Oct 6, 2012
This is a staple on my table for Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner. Must try recipe! It's always well received :)
Jan 5, 2012
Very good. I had to use the mini mashmellows. It was a big hit I made it for Thanksgiving.
Dec 24, 2011
My family LOVES this recipe! Great for Holidays!
Dec 3, 2011
Good and Easy and yes I will make it again.
Nov 10, 2011
I make this recipe during the course of the year. Instead of topping with marshmallows, I use marshmallow creme & spread on top of the casserole.