Mallow-Topped Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 large marshmallows, halved lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl.
- Beat potatoes until smooth. Add the next nine ingredients; beat until blended.
- Spread into a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 40-45 minutes. Increase oven setting to 425°.
- Top casserole with marshmallows. Bake until marshmallows are lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 312 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 18, 2018
This recipe is amazing! My husband and I loved the combination of spices and thought it almost tasted like dessert. Yum! I will definitely be making this recipe again!
Feb 2, 2015
Just like Mom's!
Oct 1, 2014
I made this for my daughter-in-law's family in Argentina several years ago. Since then this is the one dish they ask for every time I visit.
Apr 6, 2013
Very appealing look, but much better recipes are out there.
Nov 29, 2012
Every year I try a different sweet potato recipe. Well, I have finally find one that I will stick with. Great side dish.
Oct 22, 2012
I used half evaporated milk and half water because I didn't have 2%. Also, since I only had 2 sweet potatoes, I cut everything down to a 1/3 to make it enough for 2.
Oct 6, 2012
This is a staple on my table for Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner. Must try recipe! It's always well received :)
Jan 5, 2012
Very good. I had to use the mini mashmellows. It was a big hit I made it for Thanksgiving.
Dec 24, 2011
My family LOVES this recipe! Great for Holidays!
Dec 3, 2011
Good and Easy and yes I will make it again.