- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute shrimp in 1 tablespoon butter for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and cayenne. Gradually add milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and shrimp; stir until combined.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Shrimp Rice Casserole
"Really not impressed."
"Very tasty! I used some garlic in this dish, too."
"Very good. Very flavorful. Would be great for company. We like our food on the spicy side and would add more cayene pepper next time."
"Could you use chicken instead of shrimp?"
"I added some snow peas as well as some Old Bay to this recipe and it was a winner! The family approved it for a future meal."
"<p>We just love this recipe! It makes such a nice change of pace on a week night and we can use frozen uncooked shrimp stored in the freezer. Add a little more cayenne for an extra kick.</p>"
"My husband and I enjoy this dish."
"The recipe was alright, but I found that it lacked in spices/pizazz."
"This was a very good recipe that you don't have to feel guilty about serving! I added bay scallops because my husband likes them more than shrimp. I also added finely chopped broccoli to give it more color. It was great!"
"This is one of the best shrimp dishes I've ever made. I used yellow pepper instead of green and I only used 1/2 cup of cheese. Will definitely cook this again."