Lighter Hamburger Noodle Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 5 cups uncooked yolk-free noodles
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt and pepper; heat through. Drain noodles; stir into beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, ricotta cheese and sour cream until blended. Stir in half of the onions.
- Spoon half of the noodle mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with cheese mixture and remaining noodle mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 290 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 24, 2019
The whole family loved it!!!!
Feb 26, 2014
This is similar to the 'Heavenly Family Casserole', the recipe that I want to review but can't find online. It was demonstrated at a November 2013 TOH Cooking School. It uses 8 oz of noodles, 2 lb of ground beef, 1 clove of garlic, S&P, 8 oz of cream cheese, 2 cups sour cream, 24 oz tomato sauce, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. The ingredients were prepared the same way with 3 layers (noodles, cream cheese mixture, meat) put into a 9x13 baking dish. It was topped with 1 cup of shredded cheddar. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes. Well, the 'Heavenly Family Casserole' I prepared for (literally) a team of professional basketball players got rave reviews! I actually doubled the ingredients to make two - one is still in my freezer. Can't wait to defrost and bake for my family this weekend. Thank you TOH Cooking School for this great recipe!
Oct 9, 2012
Oct 9, 2012
The family loved this recipe!
Apr 30, 2012
This was great, but tempts to eat too much! Used a seasoned sauce as recommended and was really good.
Apr 25, 2012
Very good. I like the suggestion of using a flavored tomato sauce. I think that would add alot.
Mar 26, 2012
This is so good! My husband complimented me twice in the same meal so this is going in my recipe box as a keeper! We even liked it reheated the next day. I changed it slightly by using lower-sodium tomato sauce (omitted salt called for), used fat free cream cheese, and used full fat cheddar. I also omitted the onions.
Feb 18, 2012
Yummy and easy!
Oct 20, 2011
Absolutely Awsome! Used cottage cheese instead of Ricotta. Should have made two batches. It went too fast.
Nov 30, 2010
This is a Paul Prudhomme recipe, he adds lime juice, several tablespoons, to the sour cream-green onion mixture.