Leek Potato Pancakes
I received this recipe from my great-grandmother. She brought this over from England, where they enjoyed leeks immensely during the fall and winter. —Suzanne Kesel, Cohocton, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 large)
- 2 pounds medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Place potato quarters in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender, adding leeks during the last 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer potato quarters to a large bowl; mash with eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 338 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Leek and Potato Fritters in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.