Leek Potato Pancakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 large)
- 2 pounds medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Place potato quarters in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or tender, adding leeks during the last 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer potato quarters to a large bowl; mash with eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 338 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 155mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 11, 2020
A great alternative to hash browns for us. Adds more nutrition with the leeks! I omitted the sour cream due to family preference but made according to directions otherwise. Great taste and texture. Would make again.
Dec 25, 2018
I really liked these! I added celery and green pepper and that gave it a boost. I served with scrambled eggs. Make sure to drop by 1/4 cup into frying pan, not 1/2 cup. They have to be small to brown nicely - and so you can flip.