I LOVE POTATOES prepared in any way. I came up with this recipe by combining two recipes for broccoli and potato "latkes". These are easy to prepare and make a delicious side dish. —Patricia Kile Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large baking potato, peeled
- Vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine broccoli and boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain thoroughly. In another bowl, beat eggs. Add onions, flour, salt and pepper; mix well. Add broccoli. Just before cooking, finely shred potato; add to broccoli mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1/4 in. of oil over medium-high heat. Pour batter by 1/2 cupfuls into skillet. Fry over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 301 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 319mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli-Potato Pancakes in Reminisce Extra February 1996