Layered Turtle Cheesecake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + chilling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Additional caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and pecans; cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugars until smooth. Beat in 1/4 cup flour, cream and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Remove 1 cup batter to a small bowl; stir in melted chocolate. Spread over crust.
- In another bowl, mix caramel topping and remaining flour; stir in pecans. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chocolate batter. Top with remaining batter. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath; remove foil. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- For ganache, place chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sides of springform pan. Spread ganache over cheesecake; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate until set. If desired, drizzle with additional caramel topping before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without additional caramel topping): 664 calories, 46g fat (25g saturated fat), 182mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2018
This gets rave reviews whenever I make it. A lot of time spent but well worth it.Everyone wants me to make it for their "special" occasion -
Jan 3, 2018
Worth every second of the time to make it and the calories in it! Delicious!
Dec 12, 2017
I love cheesecake and this one is well worth the time and effort.
Nov 21, 2017
This is the best cheesecake I make. Almost a year after taking to a work function, people were still talking about it. One guy told someone that the cheesecake is better than any cheesecake at "The Cheesecake Factory". It is time consuming, but definitely worth it! I make the recipe exactly as the directions tell you to.
Nov 19, 2017
This was delicious. It is very time consuming and requires a lot of dishes, so don't make it unless you're prepared for that.
Aug 27, 2017
Cindy, looks like you were only off by 1tsp. of flour. The filling uses the 1/4 c.... (*divided) That addtl 1 tsp. goes with the caramel. Made this countless times!
Aug 11, 2017
In the directions when doing the Carmel it said to add remaining flour but doesn't say an amount. I used 1 cup flour in the crust and 1/4 cup plus the 1 teaspoon flour in the filling so not sure what remaining amount they are talking about. Does anyone know? Did I mess up using a cup of flour for the crust?? Help!
Jul 21, 2017
Dec 23, 2016
I have made this at least once a year for the last 6 years. I double the chocolate layer so that the cake is more evenly divided and cover the ganache with chopped pecans while it is still warm. We always drizzle the caramel over the top after it is sliced. This is always a big hit no matter who eats it! My youngest even requests this for his birthday cake!!
Dec 11, 2016
Made it this weekend for holiday party...family said it was good but tbh it is not a recipe I will repeat. I felt it was lacking. The chocolate layer wasnt chocolatey enough. The pecan and caramel psuedo layer wasnt enough period and the cheesecake itself wasnt sweet enough. In all this cheesecake simply wasnt decadent enough...and isnt that what cheesecake....especially a turtle cheesecake should be? One positive note was the ganache which turned out well.