Layered Mocha Cheesecake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Chocolate-covered coffee beans, optional
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Securely wrap foil around pan.
- In a small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom of prepared pan. In another bowl, mix the coffee granules, hot water and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into one portion; pour over crust. Stir coffee mixture into the remaining batter; spoon over chocolate layer. Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath; remove foil. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack for 10 minutes; loosen sides from pan with a knife. Cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove rim from pan. For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Spread over cheesecake. Top with coffee beans if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 535 calories, 37g fat (21g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2019
Its a really great recipe! I messed up somewhere though. The layer i added chocolate to(i used white chocolate) didnt bake right. The top layer had that creamy spongey texture but my chocolate layer was more like a nobake cheesecake and didnt have a sponge like texture. The cheesecake didnt fall apart its still sturdy im just wondering what i did wrong
Nov 20, 2018
I make this exactly as the recipe states. My husband has to have one every year for his birthday. Everyone that tastes it says it is delicious!
Nov 24, 2017
I just made this cake for my husband’s Thanksgiving dinner/birthday party. It came out perfect! This was my first cheesecake ever that didn’t crack because I finally took the time to bake it in a hot water bath which I have always been too lazy to do. I substituted a Nilla wafer crust for the Oreo because it’s my favorite and the birthday boy wanted to try it. I also substituted the top ganache for a softer/more runny milk chocolate variation to mellow out the richness of the semisweet base layer. Your layers should come out defined if you spoon the mocha layer gently because the chocolate layer is so dense. I used Maxwell House Cafe Vienna for the powdered coffee.
Oct 8, 2017
Mocha Cheesecake was excellent. However, my layers were not at all as defined as in the pic. It almost looked like one solid layer of chocolate. Any suggestions?
Aug 28, 2017
I made this and it was an absolute hit - with everyone!!! It is so rich; cut small slices, but when you do that, you can go back for more. I got 2 marriage proposals from friends' husband :), and my husband thought it terrific!!I did use the water bath method, and it turned out perfectly: set just right. Texture and taste were perfection. It is now one of our favorites.arslp
Jan 15, 2016
I made this exactly as the recipe is written. Everyone loved it. very rich, so cut into smaller slices.
Dec 7, 2015
Stunning presentation and lovely combination of flavors. The bain marie (hot water bath) is extra work, but I've never had a cheesecake crack when baked in the hot water. I use almost boiling water - reduces baking time. Used espresso powder. Only suggested change would be to make the glaze with whipping cream instead of butter. This glaze as directed gets too hard in the refrigerator to cut nicely. 9" springform is a perfect fit.
Dec 2, 2015
Used chocolate graham crust and espresso powder. So delicious it should be illegal! Freezes well as a whole cheesecake or individually sliced pieces for that perfect pick me up dessert. I did use 2 sheets of heavy duty foil each wrapped separately. Add warm Glaze with cheesecake room temp or cool--it sets up fast when cheesecake is frozen.
Nov 19, 2015
Tastes as good as it looks. Very rich. I will make it again.
Oct 21, 2015
Looks so delicious. I just have a question. After the cheesecake has been refrigerated , should the glaze be cooled before spooning onto cheesecake. Thanks very much. Haven't tried it yet but I will rate in on appearance.