Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min. + standing
- 1 pound pecan halves, toasted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, chopped
- On waxed paper-lined baking sheets, arrange pecans in small clusters of four to five pecans each.
- For caramel, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, corn syrup and sugars. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Working quickly, spoon caramel onto pecan clusters. Let stand until set.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spoon over caramel. Chill for 10 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 171 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 18, 2015
Absolutely the best turtles I have ever tasted. The caramel in these is decadent, incredibly rich & smooth, & so EASY to make. I have paid $20 a lb. for turtles that were not this good.I used aluminum foil lined cookie sheets & spray oil & the turtles came off perfectly. This honestly couldn't be easier.
Dec 24, 2013
This is a great recipe. The candy is amazing. Thank you for sharing
Dec 22, 2013
Very good. Pretty easy to make. I will be making them again for Christmas gifts this year. Only complaint is they stuck to the paper like crazy!! Will butter the paper this time per my mom's advice and we'll see how it goes!
Oct 27, 2013
The caramel was perfect. I can't wait to make them again.
Dec 20, 2011
Shoul read 3 or 4 years worth of Christmas boxes
Dec 20, 2011
I have made this candy for three or four Christmas gift boxes. It is the most requested of all the candies that I make
May 8, 2011
So much better than store-bought turtles!
Dec 23, 2010
This was a very easy recipe to follow. The taste was incredibly good. I just would like to know how to make a bottom for the turtles so that the caramel and nuts are enclosed. Even after chilling them, mine sorta fell apart when eating them because there was no bottom. I will definitely be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.