Turtle Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 7 cups cubed day-old French bread (1-inch cubes)
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans, divided
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 8 caramels
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Place bread cubes in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with semisweet chips and 2 tablespoons pecans. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup milk, brown sugar, cocoa, caramels, butter and chili powder. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until caramels are melted. Add remaining milk; heat through.
- Stir a small amount of mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over bread cubes; let stand for 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Drizzle with caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans; bake 2-3 minutes longer or until caramel topping is heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 26, 2014
Excellent! Always a big hit!
Nov 29, 2011
Chili powder helps intensify the chocolate flavor.
Jul 7, 2010
leave the chili powder out if it's an issue for you!
Mar 9, 2010
Chili Powder? Seriously? Why?????????
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.