Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces vanilla wafers (about 60 cookies), divided
- 4 large ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer 25 vanilla wafers, half of the banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of pudding. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, remove wrap; crush remaining wafers and sprinkle over top.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 302 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 10, 2018
I made this for a church picnic and everyone loved it. I didn't come home with any leftovers. Will make again, so easy and delicious.
Jul 3, 2018
I made this for a friends BBQ and people liked it better than the professionally baked banana cake
Jun 21, 2018
I made this today and it was amazing! Very easy and simple to make.
Jun 2, 2018
I'm a fairly new baker and just tried this recipe. I tempered my eggs for the first time and everything came out great. I made a whipped cream topping and added it, came out fantastic. Definitely a keeper! Thanks.
May 20, 2018
Had put off making this for a special occasion; last night I made it for a bridal shower for today; thought it was a little bland. I added an additional teaspoon of vanilla as recommended; I am sure that helped... Very doubtful I will make again...
May 2, 2018
We love banana pudding and this recipe is delicious and easy. Since the ingredients are staples in our house, it's easy to whip up a batch when we are craving it.
Feb 27, 2018
Delicious. Try swapping out the 2% milk for half and half and stir in a Tb of butter along with the vanilla. I prefer making mine from scratch also, boxed pudding mix is just too lacking in something.....Lindie you asked why your pudding came out runny. When making any pudding always use dairy with as high a fat content as possible whether from scratch or the instant kind. 4% milk has the least amount of fat content that you want to use in a pudding. We're talking dessert and dessert is something special, it's always ok to splurge on dessert. I would bet that this recipe has been revamped since originally published and the milk was changed to 2%.
Feb 27, 2018
Easy to make; easy to assemble; and very tasty! The hardest part was waiting 4 hours to let it set.Thanks for the recipe!
Feb 23, 2018
Thank you Dolly this is the way my Grandma would make it for her family.All natural and heavenly to eat.
Feb 5, 2018
This is delicious! The homemade pudding in the recipe is so much better than making it out of a box.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.