Kate Smith Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bran flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup bran flakes, crushed
- In a bowl, combine egg, butter and milk. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir into batter. Add bran flakes. Spread into a greased 8-in. round ovenproof skillet or 8-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 253 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 4, 2008
I've been making this delicious old-fashioned coffee cake for over ten years now, since I found it in Reminisce magazine. My mother says it is very similar to one that her mother made. Maybe she got her recipe from Kate Smith's original cookbook -- the timing would be about right.