Jerk Chicken with Tropical Couscous
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) mixed tropical fruit
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-1/2-in. strips
- 3 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (green portion only)
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- Lime wedges
- Drain mixed fruit, reserving 1/4 cup syrup. Chop fruit.
- Toss chicken with jerk seasoning. In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until no longer pink, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan, reserving drippings.
- In same pan, saute peppers and green onions in drippings 2 minutes. Add broth, 1 tablespoon cilantro, lime juice, salt, reserved syrup and chopped fruit; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; reduce heat to low. Place chicken on top; cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed and chicken is heated through, 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 411 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 9, 2017
Really tasty, and great for summer in the hot, muggy Midwest. It's good either hot or cold. I love it exactly as written, though I leave out the jalapeno to reduce the heat when I make it for my family.
May 8, 2017
Apr 24, 2017
My husband really enjoyed this dish. I used mangoes instead of the tropical fruit mix and it worked very well.