Mango Barbecued Jerk Chicken Thighs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- For barbecue sauce, in a small bowl, combine the chutney, lime juice, honey, mustard, five-spice powder and ginger; set aside. In another small bowl, combine the cilantro, sesame seeds and orange zest; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. Broil chicken 4-6 in. from the heat for 7 minutes. Turn and broil for 6 minutes. Baste with half of the barbecue sauce. Broil 3-5 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Place on a serving dish. Sprinkle cilantro mixture over chicken. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh: 232 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 30, 2018
Excellent! Moist with a great balance of heat. I left chicken to marinate while I was at work. So this makes for a quick dinner during the busy week. I used whole cut-up chicken so I doubled the marinade. I'm not a fan of Cilantro, but Italian parsley is a easy substitute.
Apr 4, 2014
I have done this recipe twice for large groups adjusting the recipe according to my needs (did it once for 50 and once for 30) Both times I got RAVE reviews and everyone wanted the recipe. When I did it the first time, because I needed to prepare the chicken the day before, I marinated the chicken and then cooked it in the oven for about 40 minutes. Then I put the chicken with the barbecue sauce into a slow cooker and set it on "keep warm". When we ate it 3 hours later it was hot and all the flavours had melded. The second time, for the smaller group, I again marinated the chicken, put it in pans and spread the barbecue sauce on top. Cooked for about 40 minutes at 180 C. Fabulous recipe!! Thank You!
Jan 26, 2014
This was amazing! We used fresh oranges and limes for the juice and hot jerk seasoning. I have no idea how the leftovers would be because it all disappeared at supper. Excellent recipe.
Oct 12, 2011
Our friend said it is easily the best homemade chicken he has ever had!!
Jul 9, 2011
We made this with friends with chicken breasts. We also cooked the breasts on the grill. This was voted by all as one of the best chicken recipes we've ever made. It was just as good cold, the next day for lunch !