- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons jelly or jam
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg yolks, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 10 times. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter. Place about 1/2 teaspoon jelly in the center of half of the circles; brush edges with egg white. Top with remaining circles; press edges to seal tightly.
- Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnuts in remaining sugar. Yield: 16 doughnuts.
Reviews forJelly Doughnuts
"My first-ever attempt at jelly donuts and I was so happy with the results!! The recipe was easy to follow and the end result was so light and fluffy, I could eat a dozen! Thank you for a great recipe, it’s a keeper!Just wondering, on the off chance there are any leftovers, what’s the best way to store them?"
"This was the first time i've tried making doughnuts, and they turned out perfect! They were absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making these again!"
"You do not say when/how to use the jelly"
"I have tried several doughnut recipes over the years, and these are by far, the easiest, tastiest ones ever! Plus, the recipe doesn't make a huge number, so it's perfect for my family. Thank you!"
"This was my first attempt at making doughnuts and it was a smashing success!! So tasty and light and fresh...they were wonderful!"