Italian Stuffed Artichokes
“I can remember Mom making this special treat at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas,” writes Emma Magielda from Amsterdam, New York. “We looked forward to it all year!” TIP: For easy eating, Emma suggests pulling leaves from the artichoke one at a time. Draw each through your teeth slowly, scraping and eating only the tender flesh at the base. Continue until you reach the central cone or heart of tender young leaves. Eat this with a fork.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 4 large artichokes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups soft Italian bread crumbs, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the tops. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves; brush cut edges with lemon juice. Stand artichokes in a Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- Invert artichokes to drain; let stand for 10 minutes. With a spoon, carefully scrape out the fuzzy center portions of artichokes and discard.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon peel, pepper and salt. Add olive oil; mix well. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with bread crumb mixture.
- Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until filling is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 212 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 596mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Stuffed Artichokes in Light & Tasty December/January 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.