Artichoke-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
My bacon-wrapped tenderloin looks time-consuming to make but requires just 30 minutes of prep work before baking. A big slice of the stuffed beef is almost a meal-in-one. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) stuffing mix
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 4 bacon strips, halved
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the artichokes, mushrooms and broth. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in stuffing mix; cool slightly.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat. On each half, make another lengthwise slit down the center to within 1/2 in. of bottom; open roast and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Remove plastic.
- Spread stuffing mixture over meat. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Tie the roast at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; arrange bacon pieces over roast.
- Bake at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 351 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Stuffed Beef Tenderloin in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.