This turkey and broccoli mixture over polenta is quick, easy and tastes great. Nutritious and delicious, it makes a comforting meal on a weeknight. –Mary Bilyeu of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Recommended: 25 Ways to Eat Eggs All Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (20 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, pesto, pepper flakes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for polenta, bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Slowly whisk in cornmeal; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon onto plates; top with sausage mixture. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage with Polenta in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p43