Italian Sausage Grinders
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 12 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 12 brat buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausages in oil; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Serve sausages on buns with sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 467 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 15, 2012
These were so, so yummy. I used hot italian sausages and took the 1st reviewer's advice and baked them for a few minutes with mozarella and parmesan on top. Unfortunately I didn't have the right buns, so I just toasted really good hot dog buns. This recipe will be used a lot. Thank you.
Dec 6, 2011
Haven't tried this one, but we do a similar version and saute sweet peppers (any color) and onions in butter to top our meat with inside the buns. Delicious! Recipe came from an Italian street vendor at a town festival.
Oct 22, 2010
used a package of 5 sausages and had enough sauce left over for spaghetti a few nights later. Substituted 3 t. Italian seasoning for the basil, oregano, and parsley. sauce was great!!
Oct 10, 2010
I halved the recipe since there were just two of us tonight. Taste great, easy, and we're already looking forward to the leftovers.
Oct 5, 2010
Loved this recipe. Tasted great! I stuck my sandwiches in the oven for about 10 minutes to melt the mozzarella cheese on top! Easy too! Saved the leftover sauce for my next batch of spaghetti.