Italian Sausage Grinders
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 12 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 12 brat buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausages in oil; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Serve sausages on buns with sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 467 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 15, 2012
These were so, so yummy. I used hot italian sausages and took the 1st reviewer's advice and baked them for a few minutes with mozarella and parmesan on top. Unfortunately I didn't have the right buns, so I just toasted really good hot dog buns. This recipe will be used a lot. Thank you.
Dec 6, 2011
Haven't tried this one, but we do a similar version and saute sweet peppers (any color) and onions in butter to top our meat with inside the buns. Delicious! Recipe came from an Italian street vendor at a town festival.
Oct 22, 2010
used a package of 5 sausages and had enough sauce left over for spaghetti a few nights later. Substituted 3 t. Italian seasoning for the basil, oregano, and parsley. sauce was great!!
Oct 10, 2010
I halved the recipe since there were just two of us tonight. Taste great, easy, and we're already looking forward to the leftovers.
Oct 5, 2010
Loved this recipe. Tasted great! I stuck my sandwiches in the oven for about 10 minutes to melt the mozzarella cheese on top! Easy too! Saved the leftover sauce for my next batch of spaghetti.