At the start of each week, my family is already looking forward to our traditional weekend breakfasts, when I serve warm and wonderful dishes such as this. The make-ahead convenience lets me relax with the family as the savory aroma fills the house. —Nancy Robinson, Kansas City, Kansas
Featured In: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups onion and garlic croutons
- 8 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper, mushrooms and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Place croutons in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with sausage mixture. Beat eggs and milk; pour over sausage.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 min.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Place tomato slices over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Casserole in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p10
Reviews forItalian Sausage Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 27, 2010
"Made this for Christmas. I try something different every year, this I would make again"
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2009
"This was very good!!!!!!"