Hearty Beef Stroganoff
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or beef broth
- Hot cooked egg noodles or brown rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons flour and salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef in 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in tomato paste and remaining flour until smooth. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Carefully return beef mixture to the pan. Add sour cream and sherry; heat through (do not boil). Serve with noodles or rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 338 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Apr 5, 2019
Comes together quickly and was delicious following the recipe as written. The flour thickens the sauce perfectly. This recipe is a keeper!
Sep 26, 2018
I used pork tenderloin instead of beef. Very delicious!
Sep 26, 2018
What an excellent recipe! We added a splash of Worcestershire sauce, as a nod to the fake stroganoffs we made when we were young and poor, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly.
Aug 6, 2016
I made the mistake of backing off on the tomato paste, and reducing the amount of sour cream based on a couple of the reviews. As a result the taste was kind of bland. Next time I'll follow the recipe.
Dec 20, 2015
My family loved this recipe, but I think I added too much tomato paste, which threw the taste off slightly. The sherry definitely added to the flavor of the dish. I would make this in the future.
Apr 24, 2014
This is my go-to meal whenever I have a special guest over.
Feb 17, 2014
THIS RECIPE IS AMAZING
Apr 9, 2013
Delicious with left over pot roast.
Aug 22, 2012
I've been making it with hamburger instead. Faster to make. I make it in bulk and then use a food saver to freeze it. Great for when I'm to busy to cook, drop it into a pot of boiling water and make rice.
Nov 2, 2011
I used stew meat. Once I had the meat browned and the sauce made, I put it in a 200 degree oven for 4 1/2 hours. I added the sour cream and sherry once I took it out of the oven. I 1 1/2 the sauce and it seemed like there was a lot of sauce for 1 lb. of meat. I also had to thicken the sauce with cornstarch. I'm sure that was because I made it in the oven and not the stove top. It was good, but not anything out of the ordinary.