Hearty Beef Stroganoff
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or beef broth
- Hot cooked egg noodles or brown rice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons flour and salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef in 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in tomato paste and remaining flour until smooth. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Carefully return beef mixture to the pan. Add sour cream and sherry; heat through (do not boil). Serve with noodles or rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 338 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Feb 24, 2020
This was perfect! Putting it into regular rotation.
Jan 9, 2020
Everyone I make this for loves this entree. I follow the recipe but double the amount of sherry. The tomato paste is just enough to flavor without adding a tomato taste. One reviewer complained about the overpowering tomato paste flavor, but my guess is that she used one can, rather than just one tablespoon! I think the butter adds enough fat for flavor, but if you serve with just a salad and low fat dressing, you won't be overdoing fat calories. I always use sirloin because that's what my husband likes. All in all, a company-worthy recipe. And thinned with a bit of sherry, it makes good leftovers, too.
Apr 5, 2019
Comes together quickly and was delicious following the recipe as written. The flour thickens the sauce perfectly. This recipe is a keeper!
Sep 26, 2018
I used pork tenderloin instead of beef. Very delicious!
Sep 26, 2018
What an excellent recipe! We added a splash of Worcestershire sauce, as a nod to the fake stroganoffs we made when we were young and poor, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly.
Aug 6, 2016
I made the mistake of backing off on the tomato paste, and reducing the amount of sour cream based on a couple of the reviews. As a result the taste was kind of bland. Next time I'll follow the recipe.
Dec 20, 2015
My family loved this recipe, but I think I added too much tomato paste, which threw the taste off slightly. The sherry definitely added to the flavor of the dish. I would make this in the future.
Apr 24, 2014
This is my go-to meal whenever I have a special guest over.
Feb 17, 2014
THIS RECIPE IS AMAZING
Apr 9, 2013
Delicious with left over pot roast.