- 3 cups sliced peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes and apples. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over apples. Dot with half of the butter. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Baste with pan juices. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHealthy Apple Sweet Potato Bake
"Perfect balance of flavors without being overly sweet. As noted by others, this dish would work with even less sugar as the apples lend a natural sweetness to the dish. I may not make sweet potatoes any other way from now on!"
"Just the recipe I was looking for. It went really well together and wasn't too sweet. A nice side dish with ham!"
"The tart apple combination is a winner! Everyone raved. Very pretty too."
"Excellent. Next time I will cut down the sugar as the apples naturally sweeten things up."
"easy to make and GREAT taste.Not as sweet as some of them :-)Will make again."
"Really yummy with my pork roast. I just added a sprinkle of cinnamon on both layers, which was delicious. Definitely try this one!"
"This was outstanding! I wouldn't change a thing! Awesome!"
"I'll make the recipe as is the 1st time. The second time I make it, I think I'll add cinnamon and maybe a small amount of chopped pecans or walnuts. I think it is going to be a great addition to my side dishes!"