Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour 10 min.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 pitted dates, chopped
- 12 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Fresh sage, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut thin slices lengthwise from bottom of sweet potatoes to allow them to lie flat; discard slices. Place potatoes flat side down; cut crosswise into 1/8-in. slices, leaving them intact at the bottom. Arrange sweet potatoes in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Spoon half the butter mixture evenly over sweet potatoes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine cream cheese, dates and sage; spread between potato slices.
- Bake, covered, until potatoes are just becoming tender, 45-50 minutes. Remove pan from oven and uncover; spoon remaining butter mixture over potatoes and top with pecans. Return to oven and bake until potatoes are completely tender and topping is golden brown, 25-30 minutes longer. If desired, serve with chopped fresh sage.
Nutrition Facts1 sweet potato: 552 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 8g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 24, 2019
Renee, you need a sharp knife! Lay a chopstick on either side of the potato to keep the knife from going all the way through. This is a meal in itself, Unbelievably delicious, such a delightful combo of flavors. And makes an impressive presentation for guests. So worth the slight effort to make this. It's Amazing!!
Nov 19, 2018
I love sweet potatoes, but absolutely HATE cutting them. They are hard as rocks, I can't imagine cutting them like this!!