Hasselback Butternut Squash
Squash makes the perfect holiday side dish, especially when it's Hasselback butternut squash! The thin slits cut into each half allow the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and ground chipotle mixture to get in every single nook and cranny. This is one side that everyone at your holiday table will be excited to gobble up! —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Fried sage leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Peel squash. Cut lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Place squash in a 13x9-in. baking pan / shallow roasting pan, cut side down. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Cut squash crosswise into 1/8-in. slices, leaving them intact at the bottom. Combine remaining ingredients; brush over squash. Bake until tender, 30-40 minutes longer. If desired, top with fried sage leaves.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 236 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 10g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.