Southern Loaded Sweet Potatoes
For a taste of a southern classic, we make sweet potatoes stuffed with pulled pork and coleslaw and manage to sidestep the calorie overload. —Amy Burton, Cary, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 8 medium sweet potatoes (about 5 pounds)
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Place roast in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup mustard, brown sugar, garlic powder, cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon salt; brush over pork. Add broth; cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Bake until tender, 45-50 minutes.
- Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, garlic salt and remaining mustard and salt; pour over coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Shred pork with 2 forks; return to slow cooker.
- With a sharp knife, cut an "X" in each potato. Fluff pulp with a fork. Using a slotted spoon, place pork mixture and coleslaw over each potato.
Nutrition Facts1 potato with 2/3 cup pork mixture and 1/4 cup coleslaw: 428 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Slim & Southern Loaded Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.