You'll find these in my recipe file under "F"—for "favorites"!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makes3-1/2 to 4-1/2 dozen
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound shortening
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 cups diced fully cooked ham (1/4-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening, half at a time, until crumbly. Combine 1/2 cup water, egg and vinegar; add all at once to flour mixture and toss with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add remaining water only if necessary. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for several hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a fourth of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a 3-1/2- to 4-in. round cutter, cut dough into circles. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Spread a scant tablespoon of filling on half of each circle. Moisten edge slightly with water and fold over, sealing with the tines of a fork. Cut slits in top of pasties.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling. In a small bowl, beat egg with water; brush tops of pasties. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 281 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.