- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1-1/4 pounds red potatoes, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham or country ham
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 8 cups chicken or ham stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place rutabagas, potatoes and onion in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 35-40 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add ham; cook and stir 7-9 minutes or until browned. Remove ham with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same pot, heat remaining oil. Add red pepper and celery; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in flour, onion powder and paprika until blended; gradually stir in stock. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream, roasted vegetables and ham; heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forHam & Potato-Rutabaga Chowder
"This soup was delicious. The recipe is perfect. No additions or subtractions are necessary."