This soup has been passed down for generations beginning with my great-grandmother. I make it often, especially when I can use homegrown beans, carrots, onions and potatoes.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh savory or 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Before serving, remove bay leaf and parsley and savory sprigs. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Green Bean Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p21
Reviews forGreen Bean Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 13, 2013
"Great for my gluten free lifestyle! Very good to take to work. Ham was not on sale so I used kielbasa, very good in the soup."